How do I know if I need to remove alcohol completely?
Here are some of the ways you can start to tell if you’ve got a problem with alcohol:
- How often do you have six or more drinks on one occasion? (and check your pours, one standard glass of wine is just 100mls)
- As a result of your drinking, did anything happen in the last year that you wish didn’t happen?
- Have you started lying to yourself or others about how many drinks you’ve been having?
- Are you trying to set yourself limits but keep breaking them (e.g. “I’m only going to have one glass tonight… dammit I had 4”)
- Do you hanker for 5 o’clock to roll around so you can start drinking? Maybe 4 o’clock is ok on the weekends….?
- Are you rationalizing with yourself, comparing yourself to others who appear worse off (e.g. “I’m not as bad as Joe – he can hardly walk straight most nights”)
- Are you thinking about drinking a lot of the time? Beating yourself up, making excuses, feeling guilty, worrying…?